Leaders Defence Force hits third round with comfortable win over Rangers

Leaders Defence Force hits third round with comfortable win over RangersDigicel Pro League leaders Defence Force returned to its winning ways on Saturday in the second match of a Round Three Match Day One double header at the Marvin Lee Stadium by defeating seventh positioned St. Ann’s Rangers 3-0.

Trinidad and Tobago striker Devorn Jorsling scored twice in the first half and international teammate Kevon Carter once in the second period to hand coach Ross Russell maximum points, coming off a 1-1 draw against T&TEC FC in its last outing.

However Defence Force who defeated Rangers 2-1 in Round One and crushed the St. Ann’s club 8-0 in Round Two, failed to punish the Dean Pacheco coached-side by another big win as a result of some poor finishing near the end.

Jorsling fired the soldiers ahead, 1-0, in as early as the 7th minute when he raced onto a well weighted Kevon Carter pass to have a first time crack at goal beating a hapless Zane Coker.

And in the 21st minute an unmarked Cater tamely headed an Aklie Edwards cross overbar from the centre of the area.

Cater teed up Jorsling again five minutes before the break and the Trinidad and Tobago international from his right boot, smashed his effort inches overbar.

But Jorsling made no mistake seconds later after latching onto a through-ball by Jerwyn Balthazar inside the area and opening room for himself on the favoured left boot before driving the ball past Coker for a 2-0 cushion before the break and his 14th league goal this season.

Balthazar found Jorsling again in the 63rd minute, and again the Defence Force target man was just off the target with the right boot.

A minute later Balthazar had a crack on goal himself off a Jemel Sebro cross, however Rangers’ defender Ryan O’Neil, a former Defence Force youth player, blocked out the effort.

Carter then added his name to the score sheet in the 73rd minute as Defence Force enjoyed a 3-0 pull-away scoreline.

Carter was picked out by defender Rodell Elcock who made a surging run through the middle and the T&T winger capped it off with a beautiful strike from the left of the area as Coker stood little chance.

Meantime Rangers forward Devon Modeste was the only real threat for Army goalie Kevin Graham.

Modeste who dragged an effort wide 10 minutes inside the match, and forced Graham into action with a low save in the 17th minute, tried beating the Army custodian again in the 32nd minute with an audacious looping effort which was struck too long and over the goal. Modeste troubled Graham again in the 65th minute but couldn’t find a way back for the St. Ann’s club which sits seventh on the standings with 10 points.

Army, however, enjoys 36 points at the top, followed by Caledonia AIA (29 points) and defending champions DIRECTV W Connection (25 points) both with a match in hand in second and third respectively.

But despite the result and much better ball possession, coach Russell clearly appeared unpleased by the margin after some poor finishing displayed near the end by Jorsling, and substitutes Ross Russell Jr. and Richard Roy.

St. Ann’s Rangers 0—3 Defence Force
  ; Devorn Jorsling 7’, 4o’, Kevon Carter 73’

St. Ann’s Rangers—Zane Coker(gk), Devon Modeste(capt.), Dominic Hutchinson, Musa Nakid, Tyrone Charles, Marvin Lee(Caleb Sturge 83rd minute),  Keifer Edwards, Muhammed Nakid, Kadeem Drayton(Yellow Card), Jovon Pardassie, Ryan O’Neil

Coach—Dean Pacheco

Defence Force—Kevin Graham(gk), Kevon Carter(capt.), Glynn Franklyn, Curtis Gonzales, Devorn Jorsling, Josimar Belgrave(Richard Roy 62nd minute), Jerwyn Balthazar, Sean Narcis(Dean Pacheco 80th minute), Rodell Elcock, Aklie Edwards, Jemel Sebro(Ross Russell Jr. 76th minute)

Coach—Ross Russell