Sporting Kansas City rally from behind to defeat Central

​Central FC staring XI versus Sporting Kansas City in their final CONCACAF Champions League group D match Oct. 19, 2016, in Kansas City, Kansas.

Thursday October 20, 2016

Sporting Kansas City (1W-1D-2L, 4 points) scored all of its goals in the second half to rally for a 3-1 win over visiting Central FC (0-1-3, 1) in the last 2016/17 CONCACAF Champions League match for each on Wednesday at Children’s Mercy Park in Kansas City.

Central took a 1-0 lead through Tobago-born forward Mickaeel Jem Gordon, but a second-half surge saw the hosts grab goals by Cameron Porter, Nansel Selbol and Connor Hallisey.

The victory gave Kansas City a second-place finish in Group D on four points, eight behind the Vancouver Whitecaps (4-0-0, 12), which had an unblemished record to progress to the quarter-finals.

Against the run of play, Central FC, without injured Trinidad and Tobago captain and forward Kenwyne Jones, took the 1-0 lead in the 44th minute, when Mickaeel Gordon was slipped in behind the host’s defence on the left side of the penalty area and calmly finished past goalkeeper Alec Kann.

But six minutes after the break, SKC equalised through Porter. The forward received a long ball over the Central FC defence, brought it to the ground with his chest and finished inside the left post with his right foot, beating goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams from eight-yards out.

The 2015 U.S. Open Cup champions then took the lead in the 56th minute as 19-year-old Selbol created slight space for himself on the edge of the penalty area and rifled a right-footer into the lower-right corner.

Selbol nearly added another three minutes later, but his volleyed off a right-sided cross crashed off the post. He did the same in the 77th minute from a curling effort.

Hallisey converted a penalty kick in the first minute of stoppage time to complete the scoreline.

Central returns home to refocus on the Digicel Pro League, while W Connection are away to Mexico’s Pumas UNAM today (Oct. 20) in their final CONCACAF Champions League group game.