Central 'Sharks' chew Rangers 7-0 in DPL opener; Police and Jabloteh play goalless

Double goalscorer Marvin Oliver, second from left, is congratulated by teammate Sean de Silva during Friday's 7-1 2014-2015 Digicel Pro League win over St. Ann's Rangers. De Silva scored one and had three assists
Marvin Lee Stadium, MACOYA - Thirty-nine-year old veteran Marvin Oliver led the scoring with a first half double on Friday night as last season’s runners-up Central FC kicked off the 2014-2015 Digicel Pro League (DPL) championship with a 7-0 whipping of St. Ann's Rangers.

It was a night of two tales, as the second match of the DPL Round One Match Day One double header ended in a stalemate between Police FC and San Juan Jabloteh.

Police and Jabloteh both failed on numerous attempts to put the ball in the back of the net, but for Central it happened with ease, and even led Rangers – last season’s cellar-positioned finisher – 4-0 before the break.

Friday’s result became the highest scoring DPL match by Central, presently in its third season of existence, bettering a 6-0 win over Rangers last February under then head coach Terry Fenwick.

This time around under new head coach 64-year-old Serbian Zoran Vranes, Dwight Quintero was the first to find the back of the net in the 17th minute, giving the “Sharks” a 1-0 advantage.

The 20-year-old forward struck low past a hapless Rangers’ goalie Christopher Biggette after he was played in the middle of the area by midfielder Jason Marcano, who won a favourable bounce of the ball in contest with 6-foot-plus defender Julani Peters, following a deep Akeem Benjamin cross.

Then in the 24th minute Oliver, who carries the armband and leadership from the back, gave his side a 2-0 cushion.

Despite his age and being converted from creative midfielder – a skill he hadn’t lost touch of – to central defender this season, Oliver turned back the clock by showing his goal-scoring prowess.

Oliver, up for a corner, towered much younger jumps – that could qualify as his own kids – to head past Biggette off a well-placed Sean de Silva corner from the right.

De Silva, who later got on the score-sheet, was also involved in the third item when his splitting pass from the middle was picked up by Marcano, who slipped free from his challenger and executed a low strike past Biggette for a 3-0 score-line.

Oliver then completed his double in the 35th minute, heading in a deflected De Silva free kick for a more than comfortable 4-0 score-line before the break.

In the second half Vranes, a former Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 and Under-23 head coach and Senior Team assistant coach, introduced 19-year-old Nathaniel Garcia, replacing Quintero in the 66th minute.

And just under five minutes onto the pitch, the speedy attacker found the back of the net for a 5-0 score by taking over the line a Kaydion Gabriel attempt which was pushed into his path by Biggette.

Any attempts or optimism by new Rangers head coach, 44-year-old Jason Spence, of a comeback surely ended by that time, although his very young squad showed discipline and structure in the opening stages, and creative moments throughout the game.

De Silva, a former Rangers youth player, finally had a goal of his own in the 74th minute with a crack from the top of the area that left Biggette beaten on his right as Central celebrated a 6-0 score.

It was a miserable night for Biggette, who had denied De Silva from close up in the 10th minute and wrapped the midfielder’s free-kick just before the hour mark.

Rangers’ goal was threatened again in the 76th minute but the St. Ann’s football club was lucky to see Garcia’s effort flash wide of an exposed net after the Central substitute’s speed proved too much for defender Trevin Latapy and Biggette.

On the opposite end Central goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams was forced to retire from the game with a problem to his leg ten minutes before the end, and was replaced T&T Under-20 goalie Javon Sample, but that didn’t matter.

Gabriel made it 7-0 by the 82nd minute after getting behind the defence on the right and lifting shot from the angle to beat Biggette at near post.

Gabriel, sporting a bald-head instead of his signature short locks, even tried an audacious chip over Biggette four minutes from the end of regulation time but it sailed just over-bar.

In the end, the dominating score-line earned a solid start for Central in the 2014-2015 DPL, a season that includes joining rivals and reigning league champions W Connection in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Club Championship, which also serves as the qualifying tournament to the CONCACAF Champions League.

Connection, who edged Central 1-0 to win the Digicel Charity Shield a third consecutive time a week ago, sits out on the bye in Round One Match Day One, but will meet the Central, for the second time in two weeks, next weekend in Round One Match Day Two.
Police FC defender Anton Hutchinson reacts to a missed chance during his side's goalless draw against San Juan Jabloteh on the opening night of the 2014-2015 Digicel Pro League
As for Police FC and San Juan Jabloteh, respective head coaches Richard Hood and Keith Jeffrey, should emphasize on finishing techniques in practice, based on Friday’s performances.

Three times in the first half striker-turned-midfielder Kerry Baptiste failed to find the back of the net for Jabloteh, with his best in the 13th minute that crashed off the base of the upright and out for a corner with goalkeeper Adrian Foncette at his mercy.

Fourteen minutes later, teammate and new Jabloteh signing, Tobagonian forward Andell Noray, who was denied by Foncette in the 89th minute, also failed to punish another Police mistake at the back.

But it was Police who dominated the missed chances with newcomer Hector Sam forcing a save from Jabloteh’s Jamaican goalie Shane Mattis in the 11th minute, following Jameel Perry’s earlier miss in the 5th minute.

Micah Lewis, another newcomer to Hood’s side, followed suit in the 54th minute, just missing the target against his former side.

But the worse happened later on when in the 63rd minute when Anton Hutchinson, at the back post, headed wide of a free net off Kaaron Foster’s right side corner, and in the 90th minute when Kenaz Williams dragged an effort wide in a good goal-scoring opportunity.

Noel Williams, who returned to Hood’s side following a loan stint with Caledonia last season, had an excellent attempt towards the low far corner but equal to it was Mattis, with a one-handed save.

Round One Match Day One continues on Saturday 27 September from 3.30 pm, with Point Fortin Civic hosting Caledonia AIA at the Mahaica Oval, and simultaneously at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar, Japs North East Stars will face the Defence Force.

Digicel Pro League 2014-2015
Round One Match Day One
Friday's results at the Marvin Lee Stadium
St. Ann’s Rangers 0—7 Central FC

Dwight Quintero 17', Marvin Oliver 24', 35', Jason Marcano 31', Nathaniel Garcia 70', Sean de Silva 74', Kaydion Gabriel 82'

Police FC 0—0 San Juan Jabloteh

Upcoming fixtures
Saturday 27 September 2014
Mahaica Oval
Point Fortin Civic vs Caledonia AIA—3.30 pm

Larry Gomes Stadium
North East Stars vs Defence Force—3.30 pm

St. Ann’s Rangers: 22. Christopher Biggette (GK), 4. Jelani Peters (C), 3. Al Davidson, 5. Chad Clinton (6. Shaquille Moses 73rd minute), 7. Trevin Latapy, 9. Keron Cornwall (21. Keon Peters 59th minute), 16. David Williams, 19. Shomari Antoine, 23. Craig Wilson, 27. Nathan Julien (8. Sedale Mc Lean 46th minute), 28. Jared Bennett

Unused substitutes: 6. Shaquille Moses, 17. Keron Alexander, 20. Shem Alexander, 24. Hasheem Webb, 25. Jesse Peters (GK)

Coach: Jason Spence

Central FC: 21. Jan-Michael Williams (GK) (1. Javon Sample 80th minutes), 10. Marvin Oliver (C), 5. Akeem Benjamin, 14. Jean-Luc Rochford, 11. Darren Mitchell,  7. Jason Marcano, 15. Kaydion Gabriel, 17. Marcelle Francois, 9. Qian Grosvenor, 99. Dwight Quintero (19. Nathaniel Garcia 66th minute), 8. Sean de Silva

Unused substitutes: 23. Denzil Daniel, 22. Samuel Delice, 13. Seon Thomas, 45. Ataullah Guerra, 27. Shaquille Williams, 3. Keion Goodridge

Coach: Zoran Vranes

Match Referee: Crystal Sobers

Police FC: 18. Adrian Foncette (GK), 5. Anton Hutchinson (Yellow Card), 6. Kenaz Williams, 4. Hector Sam (10. Aaron Downing 65th minute), 12. Micah Lewis, 16. Jameel Perry (21. Kerry Frederick 83rd minute), 19. Christon Foncette, 20. Elijah Belgrave (C), 8. Noel Williams (Yellow Card), 29. Clevon Mc Fee, 14. Kaaron Foster

Unused substitutes: 1. Errol Charles, 17. Dexter Alleyne, 24. Jibri Mc David, 34. Keston Mata (GK), 36. Tafari Williams

Coach: Richard Hood

San Juan Jabloteh: 30. Shane Mattis (GK), 10. Kerry Baptiste (C) (8. Sterling Newtown 55th minute), 11. Bryan Bayliss (2. Chike Sullivan 56th minute), 18. Jevon Morris, 12. Brendon Boucaud, 6. Dario Holmes, 24. Adrian Reid (Yellow Card), 7. Andell Noray, 17. Fabian Reid (14. Shaquille Bertrand 80th minute), 23. Brendon Figuera, 9. Johan Peltier

Unused substitutes: 36. Raheem Belgrave, 16. Nyron Jones, 19. Dillon Kirton, 15. Duran Dilworth

Coach: Keith Jeffrey

Match Referee: Keilon Bacchus